You want to look ravishing on your wedding day, but you fear trying on dresses because of your stature. Being petite can make shopping for clothing challenging, and wedding dress shopping is no exception. When you are under 5’5”, finding clothing that works on your body can be trying. When it comes to wedding dress shopping, you may feel like you’re in a world that is meant only for tall women.
Whether you have already started your quest for your dream wedding dress, but haven’t had any luck, or you’re nervous about starting the search because you’re afraid that you won’t be able to find a gown that works with your petite stature, have no fear! With the right knowledge, you can find a dress that will look simply amazing on you, and that will leave your soon-to-be-husband – and all of your guests – awestruck.
The Challenge for Petite Brides
On your wedding day, you want to wear your gown, not have your gown wear you. The problem for many petite brides, however, that achieving this goal can be difficult. Choose a silhouette that doesn’t compliment your stature and you could look like your gown is walking down the aisle while you’re hiding under it.
Knowing what types of silhouettes to avoid. A ball gown, for example, can take over your petite frame. If you have a short frame and a narrow waist, the trick is to find a dress that creates the illusion of a long torso. Doing so will really make you stand out, and make you own your wedding gown.
The Best Gowns for Petite Brides
How do you choose a gown that elongates your torso? By choosing one of these silhouettes and features:
- An Empire Waist – The very design of this silhouette naturally makes your torso look longer because of where the waist starts – under your bust. The bodice is fitted, which draws the attention to your chest, and the rest of the dress flows out from under your bust. It’s the perfect way to make it look like you have a longer waist.
- The A-Line Cut – This silhouette is narrower at the waist and gently flares out from the hips. This cut draws attention to your bust and your torso, which works perfectly with a short stature and a slim waist.
- An Asymmetrical Dress – This dress has a hem that varies in height; for example part of the hem is long, and part of it is short. For petite ladies, the asymmetrical hemline draws attention to your legs and elongates them. You’ll look like you’ve grown several inches in this style.
- A Princess Seam – The addition of a princess seam, a long, rounded seam that is sewn into the bodice of the gown and extends from the waist to the arms, lengthens your torso, making it look like you have a taller frame.
- A Column Style – Also known as a sheath dress, this style hugs the body, accentuating your curves and detracting the attention from your small stature and putting the focus on your best assets.
- Sleeveless Gowns – By eliminating the sleeves, the eye is naturally drawn to your shoulders and arms, which makes it look as if you are taller than you actually are.
- Gowns with Fitted Sleeves – If you do want to have sleeves, opt for fitted sleeves. When the sleeves hug your arms, they call attention to them, rather than hiding them and making it look like you are even shorter.
Choose one of these styles and/or features and you will be sure to look like the tallest, most breathtaking girl on your wedding day.